|SILS Student Support and Resources
|Here's student support can count on to stay informed.
Our first priority is to help you - our first goal is to be student-centered. We're successful only if you participate.
- Academic Calendar: Check the academic calendar for semester start and end dates, add/drop periods, and deadlines for graduation applications.
- Policies and Procedures: Consult the student handbook for Pratt's policies on student behavior and academic standing.
- SILS Listserv:
In orde to keep informed about what is happening at SILS from
announcements of jobs, lectures and events, to class cancellations, new
courses, etc., it is imperative that you sign-up for the listserv,
sils-announce. You will find announcements for school closings, class
cancellations, and internship and job postings. You will also receive
special announcements from the SILS office related to events,
registration, and application deadlines for special programs and
awards. All of our student organizations post their events and meeting
dates on sils-announce.
Subscribe to the sils-announce listserv:
Login to your Pratt email account.
In the body of the message type "subscribe sils-announce."
Leave the subject line blank.
Send the message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive an email message confirming your subscription to the listserv.
- http://my.pratt.edu -
this Web site serves a number of important student services:
registration, course offerings, student accounts, Moodle
(learning management system), alerts, Institute announcements,view your
transcripts, check email, apply for graduation and more.
- You can access Moodle from my.pratt.edu. Incresingly faculty
are using Moodle to post course material, assignments and also use its
Web 2.0 features.
- Pratt email: You will need a pratt.edu email account to access all of the my.pratt services.
The SILS Office (212) 647-7682 is there to assist:
- Academic advisement-
Upon acceptance to the School, each student is assigned a faculty
advisor. In addition, SILS office staff is available to help you
and answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 9 am - 6 pm.
New students will receive orientation materials prior to each fall and
spring semester. Orientation for incoming Fall 2008 students will be on
Wednesday, August 27 at Pratt Manhattan Center, room 213 from 5-8
- Technology Tutor: To
meet students needs with need technology for course
assignments and projects, each semester, we assign graduate
assistant with advanced technology skills to help students. You
will find the technology tutor on the 6th floor in the cyberspace area.
- Graduate Assistantships: SILS
needs graduate assistants and each semester there are
opportunities for students to apply. Graduate assistantship offer
a variety of opportunities from which students many choose such
as: working in the SILS office, the PMC LIbrary and assisting a
faculty member with research and classwork.
- Tuition scholarships:
Besides the merit scholarships that students are awarded as a new
student, students are encouraged to apply in their first year of study
as a continuing for a tuition scholarhip for their second year studies.
These range from $1,000 to $3,6000. Thus, if a student is
awarded a scholarship as a continuing student in fall 08, the funds
will be applied to tuitin for fall 09. Students may apply
scholarship funds to summer if they are taking a minimum of 6 credits.
A student must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits to
qualify for scholarship funds.
- Special Awards:
Graduating students are eligible to apply for special awards that
will be given our at graduation. These include: Sylivia Mechanic
Award for Business Librarianship, George Simor Award for Archives,
Seoud Matta Award for Technology and Marvin Skilken Award for Public
- SILS Fellows Program:
Students may apply for Fellowship awards from $2,500 to $3,600 under
the SILS Fellows Program which supports students to particpate in
international study, research and practicum (internships). See
the Fellows Web site: http://pratt.edu/~infosils/sils-fellows.html
SILS Student Organizations:stu
- SILSSA - Our student chapter of ALA and SILS Student Association
- SLA - SILS student chapter of the Special Libraries Association
- SAA - SILS student chapter of the Society of American Archivists
Additional Student Support:
services are available on the Brooklyn campus, but some can be
accessible in Manhattan. Check each department for details about
Student Affairs - (718) 636-3639
Within Student Affairs, you have access to the following services:
- Health and Counseling - (718) 399-4542
- Campus Ministry - (718) 636-3498
- Student Activities - (718) 636-3422, for any information regarding student events, student government, and student organizations.
- International Affairs - (718) 636-3674, for information about documentation
- Residential Life - (718) 399-4550, for information about student housing
- Career Services - (718) 636-3506
- Athletics - (718) 636-3774, for athletic events and facilities
- Bursar - (718) 363-3539, for information regarding your student account
- Registrar - (718) 636-3663, for questions about registration problems, transcripts, grades, leaves of absence, and graduation
- Financial Aid - (212) 647-7788; Pratt Manhattan Campus has a Financial Aid office on the 3rd floor
- Disability Services - (718) 636-3711